Jun 5, 2012
some painful experience
It could be one of the most painful experience when someone, especially someone close to you tries to put you down.
Yes, its sad that the people you expect to be there to help you in times of need are the ones who will try to put you down in times you need them the most.
I have realized that not all people would really be ready to give you a hand when you are in need no matter who they are or no matter who you are to them.
Looking back, I have always been a person who would go the extra mile to lend a helping hand to those whom I know would need any form of help. While I was in college, I have often helped my eldest sister babysit her child. I had to put off teenage gallivanting and strolls at session road because I needed to be home early so my sister could do her laundry while I baby sit her child.
When I started earning on my own, I have always thought of my siblings. I wanted to always help them in any way I can. When my eldest sister's second child was confined in the hospital, I remember being there for here to help her either financially or emotionally. Same when she gave birth to her 3 child justin. I have always wanted to hurry home from my faraway work place to be able to take care of the baby.
When I was assigned in TESDA Regional office, I volunteered to bring my niece to her school before I go to work. Which would mean that I had to go to town and forth to Loakan just so I could help my sister.
In my early days at TESDA, i was earning a good sum because I was single. And it was specifically the same time my twin was taking her board exam. I would send her some of my own money for her allowance while she reviewed in Manila to help ease the financial difficulties of being away. The emotional difficulty, I know is out of my control. But to me somehow, if I could help, I would, even if they don't ask for it. I give, I help. Not needing and expecting in return. I never wait for thank yous. Just seeing them shed off a little bit of that burden, is reward enough for me.
I saw my employment with DSWD to be of more help to people not only close to me but those who present themselves as needing of assistance. In the days when my father was for surgery for prostate excision, I opted to take a leave to be available to my family. I wanted to be there when they need me. My son, who was also being prepared for his own surgery was left with my yaya. I knew that at this time, I had to sacrifice a little bit of my time to be with my mother to take care of my father.
I took it upon myself to seek medical assistance with DSWD at that time because I knew my mother would have difficulty regarding the finances on my father's operation. Not a single time would I have asked them to thank me.
Back in 2005, my twin sister had to leave the country for a business trip. She was suffering anxieties as she had to leave her newborn to the care of her yaya whom she could not really trust. I volunteered to be the baby sitter of her baby and supervise her 2 yaya's while she was away.
In 2007, my brother's wife gave birth to their second child. My brother could not go out to buy food for himself because his wife was too weak after the major CS operation. I only second guessed that he would be too hungry after hours of waiting on his patient. My husband and I brought him food even when he didn't ask for it.
In December of 2007 also, my brother suffered a major injury in the plant where he was working. His fingers were caught in a machine that almost severed his finger. He had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency medical intervention.I knew I had to be there for him and his family so I sought the help of DSWD for financial assistance. My sister - in - law got the assistance after that to somehow ease the financial burden.
My mother -in-law's eyes started to deteriorate and so I again had to bring her to an ophthalmologist. My husband's grandchild angel also suffered eye problems so I brought her to the doctor for eye correction. She too needed to wear correctional eyeglasses. I had to buy them their eyeglasses. Who else would they expect to do that?
My sister-in-law's father also suffered health problems and so my sister-in-law came to me to seek financial assistance with DSWD. I assisted her so she can be interviewed and I informed her that she might need to come back a few days to get the assistance she needed. I told her to bring the requirements necessary.
I have done this with our neighbors in where I grew up in the community where I live now. I never asked them to thank me for the help I had done. Even when I had to make personal follow-ups of their claims so that they would get the cash needed at the time they need it most. I never made them feel inadequate for not asking how this thing or that thing works or how they could avail of the assistance. I never had to elaborate what I had to do for them just so they would thank me. Never! Never!I just served them and helped them the best way I can without expecting even a small thank you in return.
My list could go on and on.
Why am i saying all of these? Its not to lift my own bench as some would think. It's also not to brag about how I helped people because I never ever do that. I mean these little things that I have done happened so long ago already. I never wanted to bring this up so to just put a show. I just wanted to share this because I know in one way or another, one might learn from it. That to help, you should not even tell people that you are helping. Much more, never expect anything in return.
I had my share of this when someone tried to put me down when I was asking for a little helping hand, I was devastated. I was seeking advise regarding my business and that person, whom I have helped in so many ways had to make me feel inadequate. Just because I was asking somethings a little bit too late doesn't give her the authority to malign me. I also never expected that I had to thank her for something that she did but did not even materialize or come close to closing a deal with my client. I am really offended.
I know I do not deserve to be treated that way and I know I haven't done anything to deserve to get the kind of treatment accorded to me.
But well, people are just people.Who knows when they will need our help again. I hope they don't get the same treatment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment